These General Terms and Conditions apply to all offers and agreements relating to the sale and delivery of products by Hortons Books Limited. When you order anything on our website ‘www.hortonsbooks.co.uk’ and/or any web page directly connected to it, this means that you accept the applicability of these General Terms and Conditions. No deviation from these Terms & Conditions will be accepted by Hortons Books Limited.
Photographs & Condition
Please note that the photographs on this website are representative only. Due to the high volume of sales it is not possible to update the website with images of the exact item available. However, the product condition is always updated and you will receive the item in a condition that is equal to or better than that displayed.
With any particularly rare, high value, or condition sensitive items we will always display images of the actual item offered.
Please note that we are fastidious about condition and are confident that you will not be disappointed with the condition of any item you purchase from us.
Definitions of Terms Used
For the purposes of clarification the terms and acronyms used on this website can be defined as follows:
- New Old Stock (NOS): An item that may or may not still be readily available. However, the particular item in question has been in stock for a period of time with either ourselves or another vendor. In essence it has never had an “owner” and therefore will be as new internally, but may or may not show minor signs of wear from storage.
- Out of Print (OOP): A title that has essentially sold out from the original publication production. There may be single copies available from differing suppliers for books that have recently gone OOP. However, the term more commonly refers to books that have been unobtainable for long periods of time. These books will typically have had multiple owners in their lives and will exhibit some characteristics of use.
- Condition Definitions:
- Mint: An example that is either new or indistinguishable from new.
- Fine: An example that is in excellent/near excellent overall condition. A new book described as ‘Fine’ may have the odd minor mark that distinguishes it from ‘Mint’, but this would be relatively insignificant and not detract from the overall condition. An OOP book described as ‘Fine’ may have some small blemishes that will be commensurate with age and ownership. This will be graded depending on age. A ‘Fine’ book that is 100 years old may be in a similar condition to a 20 years old OOP book graded as ‘Very Good’ as it has obviously survived the rigours of time more successfully.
- Very Good: An example that is in generally very good all round condition and free from all major faults. To distinguish it from a product in ‘Fine’ condition it will have a few more minor blemishes, but no single serious issue.
- Good: An example that is in generally good all round condition but may have multiple minor faults, and/or a maximum of two major faults. These will normally be described and/or photographed. To distinguish it from a product in ‘Very Good’ condition it will have a few more minor blemishes and/or up to two major faults.
- Fair: An example that is in acceptable condition. Probably better than just a reading copy, but not as desirable as a book in better than ‘Good’ condition. Few books listed will be in ‘Fair’ condition as we try to only supply books in the best possible condition. However, if a title is particularly rare or desirable we will offer an example in lesser condition simply because sourcing an alternative is so difficult.
Please note that we describe all of our products as accurately as possible and are renowned for supplying items in the best possible condition, even the rarest examples! The vast majority of our books are ‘Fine’ or better. Where an item is very rare and we only have one example available in a lesser condition, this will be accurately described in the product description and may also be supplemented by photographs of the actual piece.
We are fastidious about condition and are confident that you will not be disappointed with the condition of any item you purchase from us.
We do not make any surcharges. There is no VAT or sales tax on book sales in the UK. The only additional cost is the relevant shipping charge for delivery of your order.
As we are a UK company and bank in the UK, all card transactions will be charged at the GBP retail price. You may therefore experience slight price differences from the EUR or US $ rate displayed on our website, depending on the exchange rate your bank or card provider uses.
Methods of Payment
We accept the following methods of payment:
- Card Payment: Credit or Debit; VISA, Mastercard & Maestro
- Cheque/Postal Order: We can only accept cheques drawn on a UK bank and made payable in £ sterling. Cheques should be made payable to, ‘Hortons Books Limited’. We cannot accept Euro cheques.
- Paypal: We can accept Paypal payments, but we do have to pass on the fees to the customer for this service as they are too high for us to absorb. Please contact us for more details.
- Book Tokens/Vouchers: We do not currently accept book tokens or vouchers.
- Cash: Please do not send us cash as we cannot guarantee safe delivery and receipt. If you wish to pay with cash, please either visit us in person or send it via a trackable postal method (DHL, UPS or similar courier or Royal Mail’s Recorded or Special Delivery service). Please note that this is at your own risk and no responsibility can be accepted by Hortons for any loss in transit.
Please note that we DO NOT currently accept AMEX card payments via our website.
All goods remain the property of Hortons Books Limited until payment of cleared funds is received in full.
We aim to dispatch all orders for stock items within 5 working days. The supply of items that are out of stock will be dependent on the lead times of our suppliers. Please note that we are often away from the business premises for 7-10 days attending various exhibitions and on buying trips. In these instances there will be a delay in dispatching your order. Please accept our apologies for this and rest assured that it will be sent as soon as possible.
It is our intention to list only those items that are currently in stock whether they are new or out-of-print. You should therefore only be able to place an order for a product with guaranteed availability. From time to time, due to the size of the stock, it may be that an item is sold and not removed from the website in time. Please accept our apologies for any errors of this nature and any inconvenience this may course. In such instances, you will be entitled to a full refund of that product if we are unable to supply a comparable alternative in a timely manner.
Delivery Methods & Timescales
Please ensure that your shipping address details are correct, as they are copied directly from the information you provide when submitting your order. We are not responsible for lost or delayed orders due to incorrect or missing information.
All orders placed on our website are sent in one consignment. If there are items in your order that are temporarily out of stock, this may delay shipment of your order.
The following delivery times are included as indicative guidelines and actual delivery will depend on stock availability. They should not therefore be regarded as strict deadlines.
- Royal Mail First Class or Hermes Parcelnet service for smaller/lighter items. Delivery usually within 4-8 days.
- DHL/UPS/UK Mail/Hermes Parcelnet or similar courier for heavier/larger items with track and trace facility. Delivery usually within 5-10 days.
- Royal Mail Printed-paper Airmail service for smaller/lighter items. Delivery usually within 7-14 days.
- DHL/UPS/Fedex or similar courier for heavier/larger items with track and trace facility. Delivery usually within 5-7 days.
USA & Rest of World:
- Royal Mail Printed-paper Airmail service for smaller/lighter items. Delivery usually within 10-21 days.
- DHL/UPS/Fedex or similar courier for heavier/larger items with track and trace facility. Delivery usually within 7-14 days.
There is no transit insurance included in the standard shipping prices quoted. Please ask for a quotation and further details if you require full cover for your order.
We will not use International Surface mail due to the extended delivery times and risk of loss associated with this shipping method. All International orders will be sent via airmail. Please also note that delivery timescales may be extended from those detailed above during peak times of the year.
We always ensure our products are especially well packed to prevent damage in transit regardless of how carelessly the package is treated. To date we have had no issues arising from the quality of packaging, a record we strive to maintain.
If you would prefer not to order through our website, you are welcome to use any of the following methods to submit your order once you have made your selection:
- Telephone: Call us on +44 (0) 1672 514777
- Fax: Fax your order to +44 (0) 1672 514772
- Email: Email us at [email protected]. For security reasons, please do not email your full credit card details to us.
- Post: Forward your order to our business address; Hortons Books Limited, Unit 14 Hertford Court, Hertford Road, Marlborough, Wiltshire, SN8 4AW, England.
When using any of the above methods, please ensure you supply us with the following information:
- Your name.
- Contact telephone number and/or email address (in case of any issues/queries relating to your order).
- Address for delivery of the order.
- Billing address of the cardholder (if different from above).
- Means of payment (For security reasons, please do not email your full credit card details to us).
- If paying via card, please include the long card number, start date, expiry date and the last 3 digits of the security code on the reverse of the card. (For Switch users, please also provide the issue number).
We sincerely hope that you will be delighted with your order. However, if for any reason you are dissatisfied with your purchase, please return the product(s) within 10 days of receipt of delivery to you. Please contact us prior to returning any item to notify us of the problem and that you wish to return the product. We can then advise of the correct procedure and packaging instructions to prevent damage to the product whilst in transit to us. In all instances, we recommend that you use a recorded delivery service as we cannot be held responsible for non-delivery of returned items.
We will fully reimburse you for any returned product(s) regardless of the reason for its return. Any returned item(s) must be received within 10 days of delivery to you and remain in the same condition in which it was dispatched from us. Refunds will be issued within 14 days of receiving the product(s) in satisfactory condition.
Postage and packaging costs will only be reimbursed for items that meet one or more of the following criteria:
- The item was sent in error.
- The item was damaged in transit due to inadequate packaging (please note that we have never experienced a situation where a product has been damaged in this way).
- A faulty item, either it is inoperable, incurred damage through the printing process, or is in a significantly inferior condition to that described.
Please note that postage charges will not be reimbursed if the returned product was ordered in error or did not fulfil your requirements.
Content Capture & Reproduction
The duplication, capture and reproduction of any part of the text and photographic content stored and displayed on the Hortons website is explicitly forbidden without prior authorisation and written permission from the business directors.
Omissions & Errors
The listed information and pricing on the website are without obligation and do not bind Hortons Books Limited. Hortons Books Limited is likewise not bound by manifest clerical errors and mistakes in promotional descriptions and other statements on the website. Any mistake or omission is a genuine error and not intended to mislead.